Finally, done gathering my thoughts and personal insights on Life of a Champion by Quest.
For those who don’t know, i have been looking for his album the record bars last year but to no luck, it’s not available.
But after seeing the post that he’s willing to do a personal meetup to sell the album, i had no hesitations to meet and greet and buy the album from him. i said to myself, this is good. finally i can go legit by buying and supporting the album and Quest instead of downloading his song on youtube and ripping it to mp3’s but hey don’t get me wrong. This is the only way i was able to obtain his music.
Here comes Quest’s sophomore album (yup he already has a debut album entitled Revolution) which so silly of me, forgot to bring on the day of the meetup to have it signed. Life of a champion has 10 tracks which are filled of the most inspiring lyrics that celebrates life, positivity, hope, love and friendship just to name a few. But enough talk, let’s get to the rundown of the tracks
1. Sige Lang – The album opens up with Sige lang in which he already told us that it’s a different version from the first one that was released a few years ago. The loud thumping drums encourages the listeners to listen and start the day right with energy and positivity.
2. Champions – Another upbeat track, it retains the intensity of sige lang. I like the message of the song as the lyrics goes “Be the best, be the best, put your fist together with the rest” telling us that we are all champions, it’s up for you on how to unleash the inner champion in you.
3. Digmaan (feat. Julianne Tarroja) – The third song slows down, almost a ballad if you ask me. the song tells us that each and everyone of us has his/her own battles in life and no matter what happens, we often don’t fight the battle alone but instead, we seek for help to overcome these challenges in life. Definitely a track that stands out in the album and to be honest one of my choice to be a single.
4. No Greater Love (feat. Clara Benin) – I’ll be honest. The first time i heard this track, i though that it was an international artist that comes close to Drake with a little bit of lil wayne and the girl singing is Skylar Grey. But to my surprise, it’s from a local act. See, this is the type of quality track that the local stations need to play. Oh and by the way, this is one awesome ballad song in the album.
5. Paborito (feat. Reese Lansangan) – Another solid track from the album, this comes halfway on your listening experience. A love song that can guarantee to melt you special love one’s heart if you sing it to them. That wordplay “Kung si Goma may Lucy, si John may Marsha, si Kiko may Shawie, si Popoy may Basha” and the “up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, a, b, a, b, select start” references just tells how Quest’s ability to have you get hooked on this song. Another favorite track of mine to be a single.
6. Kalawakan (feat. Aicelle Santos) – Still on the slow part of the album, this track is all about overcoming love against all odds and obstacles. Just like outer space, it’s infinite and endless. Another strong contender to be a single. Like the breakdown halfway on the song.
7. Golden – Another slow ballad in the track, each and every moment is precious and golden. just like love.
8. Speed of Light – Superhero you might ask? S on my chest, just like Superman, flying at the speed of light.
9. Saludo – Another favorite track of mine, this song reminds us of the modern day superheroes. Actually, this song can be applied to other people or to yourself as well. Salute as you overcome the obstacles in life and succeeding all the trials that came into your life. Another track that i really really like in the album. Plus that bassline and guitar riffs, soooooo likey!
10. Higher – As the album ends, this is the perfect track to close the album. not too loud, not too heavy. Instead we are treated to the inspirational track that is we aim to our goals and aspirations in life. Just like lifting ourselves higher to reach them.
So yeah, Life of a champion is currently available in CD format via meetups on Quest’s Facebook Page. You can purchase the album c/o Quest himself. At the moment, he’s setting up places for personal meetups if you would like to purchase the album. I’d highly recommend you guys to buy the album and instead of leaving after buying, stay awhile and chat with Quest. Promise, no dull moment and very friendly i may say.
As he also mentioned, it will be out soon digitally (via Spotify, iTunes and other digital formats) for now, the only higher chance to buy the album is to meet up with him personally as thee are still no plans yet to be released on the record bars (you know how indie music works)
I’d give this one a 5 out of 5
You can also have the album signed personally by him (i bought 2 copies) and you get to do this:
Or even this
Here’s a teaser of the tracks from the album (c/o Quest)