It’s been awhile since the last song release from one of my favorite bands. Actually i grew up listening to them and got inspired to start up a band. I’m pretty sure you know whom im talking about (come on guys, you should know by now who are they)
Yes they are the Eraserheads.
Their last unreleased single “Sa Tollgate” was released on the first anthology album. As a fan, i bought the said album even though i already have all of their albums just to get my hands on that rare unreleased track. It wasn’t able to live on my expectations as it was only an acoustic track. Don’t get me wrong, i liked the track but it didn’t grew on me.
Fast forward to 2014, i got a little tip over 2-3 weeks ago that they would be featured on Esquire magazine. But the biggest bomb that was dropped is that it would contain new materials (yes materials) from the Eraserheads since their last album, Carbon Stereoxide (which still stands to me as one of their finest works, it was ahead of it’s time when it was released) Yes, not one but 2 new songs.
So the hunt for the elusive and probably collector’s item begins… Some people were able to get a hold of the copy a day earlier and alot made reservations to get the copy. Up to this writing, it’s still sold out in most areas.
Come to think of it, it’s only 2 songs and yet people go crazy to get a copy.
And so i have it on my hand.
Let’s proceed on with the double side ep which i would call the Sabado/1995 ep
The Sabado/1995 EP has 2 tracks, and produced by the band themselves. Packaging is nice and colorful and good work on the cover. Tracks were done and mastered at Sound Creation Studios 92 of my fellow Beat Bucket band friends already did recording on the said studio and the output was nice). I belive the other half was done at Ely’s own studio, The Bunker.
Let’s get down to the tracks:
1. Sabado - Kinda reminds me of their Circus / Cutterpillow era, well this should have belonged on to that timeline, Sabado is a laid back track wherein it starts with an acoustic guitar, then right at the middle of the second verse, things tend to get a little heavy (well not too much) still a laid back track. Upon listening to the lyrics, it mostly means that thank god it’s saturday tomorrow and we can anything. Kind of like Friday night hangout / gimmick / tambay (whatever you may call it) make the most of a friday night.
Upon searching on youtube (thanks to user Channel ni roister081) this track has been played by Raimund with slightly different lyrics. I think this was still on it’s early stages of being done. Check out the video below
2. 1995 – The second track that in my opinion, is right in the middle of Natin 99 and Carbon Stereoxide era, has some interesting lyrics. It sounds like a love song that may have happen in the year 1995 but oddly enough there have been different interpretations on the song which includes the following:
- It’s about the state of the current OPM status wherein some great bands don’t get noticed in favor of the more mainstream acts and international acts.
- How great year 1995 that even though there have been such great foreign acts like pearl jam, silverchair and other rock bands to name a few, OPM dominated the airwaves. It was also the year when their multi- platinum Cutterpillow was released along with other local acts such as:
- Teeth’s debut album was released that contains Laklak, Prinsesa (yes it’s a revival already of 6cyclemind and Daniel Padilla) and galit sa mundo.
- Francis M’s Freeman album was released, containing hits such as Kaleidoscope world, Kabataan sa para sa kinabukasan and other hits
- Debut album of Wolfgang was released, which has the hits Halik ni hudas, Darkness Fell and Arise
There are quite a few more in the foray.
Back to the song (sorry for the short nostalgic trip) Nevertheless, whatever the song means, it’s a great 1995 year that was and im proud to be a part of the said generation.
Overall, the new materials at first listen has that eraserheads feel into it. Not Pupil, not Sandwich, not Markus Highway, not Cambio nor The Dawn. It has that certain Eraserheads feel into it that you cannot explain.
Overall, the EP contains interesting new materials and like one of those fans out there, i do hope and pray that this will materialize into a full blown album. It’s kinda interesting how the band would sound in a full album EP as they have already their own distinct sound on their respective bands, it’s exciting to hear what the new album would sound like. But then again, we can only hope for and for now, let’s just listen to these 2 new tracks.
I’d give it a 4.5 out of 5.
Why? kasi nabitin ako. hehehe!
Seriously, hopefully these 2 tracks materializes in a full album. This should be an interesting one if that happens. For now, let’s just enjoy these new materials.
Amen! Tyak yon! Amen!